June 10, 2020
As I have mentioned, Ben and I were planning a home reno this summer, which due to the worlds circumstances has at the very least been delayed.
Ben purchased our adorbs little home when I was finishing up university about 4 years ago. Well before we were married and just before the market spiked. THANK THE HEAVENS. There is no way we could manage a mortgage with today’s home prices.
We are incredibly grateful that we were able to snag this little gem at a time where prices were affordable and on a street that we adore. We get to chat with our neighbours, watch kids play and bike, and enjoy the quiet Muskoka subdivision.
That said, the home has seen better days. The bones are great but the dated wallpaper, choppy layout, baseboard heaters and BLUE SHAG CARPET are not really our vibe. Surprising…I know.
So though we can’t wait to begin the indoor reno to make it a fuctional space and use it to express who we are as a couple, we will need some heavy backup on the interior.
The outside however, we figured we could at least freshen up ourselves. In the middle of this pandemic we are both at home with a little extra time on our hands. The weather has been GORGEOUS and though our budget is tight…we figured we could work some magic.
First things first, lights. The old light fixtures outside the were foggy, rusted and faded. They screamed 70’s home and it was clear they were probably put in 50 years ago too. Ben found these cute LED lanterns at Home Depot for $30 for a 2 pack! SO cute. We installed those first.
Next we decided we might as well Paint the shutters and the Front door. A little paint can go a long way.
This is where we ran into our first issue. The faded blue metal shutters seemed easy enough to unscrew and take down from the siding, but as we began we realized they were secured with caulking to the side of the window.
We were able to get 3 out of 4 off the house without damage…but the 4th would NOT budge despite trying everything under the moon.
While we washed and spray painting (using a rustolium paint) the 3 shutters in the garage, the 4th would have to sprayed while still attached to the house. We use sheets of plastic and taped off the areas and maganaged to not get any black paint on the white siding or window. A+ for us!
Then it was time to paint the door. When we renovate we hope to replace this door, but in the meantime we figured a coat of black paint could go a long way. I even spray painted the metal fixtures black rather than replace them at $200… I know it will scratch and scuff but its a temporary fix!
Finally, We decided to build some make shift planter box ( which we still have to fill and install…but they are ready to go when we find out next bout of motivation)!
We simply took some old wood we had in the garage, cut to the size of the window and hammered in place.
I used a drill to create some drainage holes in the bottom so that we can water without worry!
We decided to leave these bare and not paint or stain the wood. We liked the natural look with the black accents.
Check out the short video below to see the process in action and the final product! I will update when we get the planter boxes filled and up!
We are super proud of how much better the front of our house looks.. total cost breakdown below!
Paint approx : $90
Light Fixtures: $60
Wood : Free